Double-spaced essay is a paper written using double space between the lines in the paper. On the contrary to the single-spaced papers where there is very little space between the lines, double-spaced essays have more room between the lines and paragraphs and are preferred by the professors as they can make remarks easily. That is one of the main reasons why students are required to write double-spaced papers.
Double-spaced essay format is the most widespread in academic circles. So, if you are free to choose what spacing to use, you should choose double space. It is a standard for papers writing unless other is specified by your professor (for example single space).
However, even if your paper is completed with a wrong spacing, you should not worry, as it can be corrected without a need of rewriting the whole paper. Moreover, you can do it even during writing using specific Microsoft Word tools. If you use other text processing program, it can also be done without problems but the procedure will be a little bit different.
What is Line Spacing?
Usually, line spacing is identified as a space between the lines in the paper or any other document. The main purpose of this tool is to make the text easily distinguished. Using line spacing helps to make the papers readable.
What is a double-spaced essay? It is a paper that uses double line spacing. This type of paper is very convenient for professors as it enables them to read papers easily and mare remarks and notes where necessary.
Microsoft Word Settings
In order to write double-spaced essay in Word, you will need to follow a number of steps in its settings. If you check any double-spaced essay example, you will see that you have to do the following to change its format:
- Select the text you want to make double-spaced.
- If there is no text, just click “Page Layout” tab.
- Go to “Paragraph”.
- After selecting it, you will see a little arrow at the bottom. Click it.
- Go to “Indents and Spacing”.
- Find “Line spacing” settings and choose the spacing you need (double in this case). Click “Ok” button.
Mac Settings for Double-Spaced Essay
If you use Mac, do the following:
- Select text.
- Find “Inspector” and click on it. It will open a new window.
- In the new window, choose “Text” option (shown as a large “T”).
- Find “Spacing” section and insert number “2” into the appropriate box.